NCAS EDITORS'S NOTE:
The originals of the Haleakala figures 3, 4 and 8 (photometer data) were images of data plotted on millimeter scale graph paper, with labels and explanatory text displayed in a somewhat haphazard manner. The scanned images we started with were full-page, and overflowed the screen to such an extent that they were unreadable. When reduced in size to limit the extent of screen overflow, the millimeter scale became a grey haze that obscured the plotted data. We have therefore modified these images in the interest of readability by:
- Editing out the millimeter scale, so that the graph-paper lines represent a centimeter scale.
- Transferring explanatory text from the body of each graph to the caption.
- Re-lettering (where necessary) the label information for the axes and for certain crucial data points referred to in the text.
- Re-lettering the "Milky Way" data points ('+' signs) on the Haleakala I figures, to increase contrast with the background.
- Re-tracing the original data curves on the Haleakala II figure in solid black, also to increase contrast with the background.
We have made every effort to avoid altering the data points as originally plotted.